On October 8, the world’s second-largest Hindu temple outside of India will be dedicated in the United States: Everything you need to know
The Akshardham temple in the United States is located in Robbinsville Township, New Jersey, about 90 kilometers south of Times Square in New York.
The world’s second-largest Hindu temple outside of India will be formally inaugurated in New Jersey on October 8. The BAPS Swaminarayan Akshardham organization built the Akshardham temple, which has been hailed as the world’s largest Hindu temple outside India “in the modern era.”
This magnificent temple is dedicated to Bhagwan Swaminarayan, a 19th-century Hindu spiritual leader, and was inspired by his 5th spiritual successor and renowned saint Pramukh Swami Maharaj.
All you need to know about the Akshardham temple in the United States:
1) Located in Robbinsville Township, New Jersey, the temple was built by over 12,500 volunteers from across the country over a 12-year period, from 2011 to 2023.
2) The Akshardham temple, which spans 183 acres, was designed in accordance with ancient Hindu scriptures and incorporates design elements from ancient Indian culture. 10,000 statues and statuettes, as well as carvings of Indian musical instruments and dance forms, are among them.
3) There is one main shrine, 12 sub-shrines, nine shikhars (spire-like structures), and nine pyramidal shikhars in the unique Hindu temple design. It is said to be built to last a thousand years.
4) To give it long-lasting strength, four types of stone were used in its construction: limestone, pink sandstone, marble, and granite. These included limestone from Bulgaria and Turkey, marble from Greece, Turkey, and Italy, granite from India and China, and sandstone from India.
5) There is also a ‘Brahma Kund,’ a traditional Indian stepwell, on the temple grounds. It contains water from over 300 bodies of water from around the world, including the holy rivers of India and all 50 states of the United States.
6) Though the temple will be formally dedicated on October 8, it will be open to the public beginning on October 18. The temple is currently open for visitors during certain hours, but will be closed from September 30 to October 17 due to a series of private events. According to the temple’s official website, visitors will be able to enter the campus Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. until September 30.